As the weather warms up, so does our desire to work on outdoor projects. Take advantage of balmy temperatures and give your patio a face lift. Is the paint or varnish chipping and the color seems faded? Follow these steps for stripping your deck. Once these crucial steps are done, you will be ready to make your wooden deck beautiful once again!
Things to consider before starting
Before beginning the project of stripping your wood patio, it is very important to follow these instructions for preparation:
- Check the weather. It is preferable to wait 24 to 48 hours following rain showers before stripping the patio’s wood, so that it is completely dry. Verify that no other form of precipitation is forecasted for the next few days following your work. Work in a cool environment (between 10 and 25oC), protected from the sun. Usually, the end of the day is an ideal time.
- Take necessary precautions to avoid having the stripping agent in contact with skin, eyes or airways. Wear a mask, chemical-resistant neoprene coated gloves and safety glasses. Avoid breathing the product’s fumes.
- Prepare your work surface by removing all objects and tightening any screws or nails sticking out of the wood.
- Proceed section by section, one section at a time, to not let the product dry.
NOTE: Product’s stripping action time varies depending on the coating to be stripped, and the tools used to do so.
BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH YOUR STRIPPING PROJECT, REMEMBER THAT EACH PROJECT IS UNIQUE AND THAT THE PRODUCT’S REACTION TIME WILL VARY DEPENDING ON THE ITEM TO BE STRIPPED.
DO NOT CLEAN BRUSHES IN AN ACRYLIC SINK OR BATHTUB;
DO NOT USE ON VINYL, LINOLEUM, RUBBER, ACRYLIC AND PLASTICS.
Strip your patio in 5 easy steps
Pour a generous amount of Super Remover Original or ECO directly on the surface you wish to strip. Always spread the product in the direction of the wood grain, so as not to cause damage. The stripping agent works easily to remove up to 5 coats of paint or varnish.
Apply a layer of stripping agent at least 3 mm thick (the thickness of two 2-dollar coins) over the entire wooden surface using a silk paintbrush. Be sure to add extra product to corners and detailing such as ornaments or moldings, as well as deep wood grain.
Allow the product to act for at least 15 minutes; tougher surfaces or surfaces with several layers will take longer. However, do not let the product dry.
Using a wood scraper, remove all residue left from the stripping. Always scrape in the direction of the wood grain to avoid damaging it. Next, use a stripping pad and a small amount of stripping agent to remove any remaining traces of paint or varnish remaining in the wood’s surface.
- Clean the patio’s surface with methyl hydrate to preserve the wood’s natural beauty.
- Apply paint or stain, if desired.